Tower Regeneration
Land Reclamation, Surface Coal Mining and
Restoration at the Former Tower Colliery Site

Abercynon Mining Memorial re-dedicated in Emotional Ceremony

Thursday 31st of July 2014 14:46
 

A large crowd gathered in glorious weather for the service, which was led by the Area Dean Reverend Michael Jones at Navigation Park in Abercynon, on the site of the former colliery.
The mayor of the county borough, Councillor John Watts, who himself worked in the coal industry, officially unveiled the new plaque which was made recently.

It followed the theft of the original bronze plaque in 2012 from the local public park, which sent shockwaves through the community. Ward members councillors Rhys Lewis and Alby Davies worked hard behind the scenes to make the new memorial possible, and shared their thoughts during the service.
 
Côr Meibion Abercynon also gave a great performance at the event, which was followed by the reverend’s blessing. Abercynon Colliery was opened in 1889 by the Dowlais Iron Company, at a cost of £270,000, to feed the steelworks in Cardiff.

Two mine shafts were sunk, and during the colliery’s construction, 18 men lost their lives. A further five men died underground during an accident in 1906.
At the height of its production, 2,794 people worked at Abercynon Colliery, which was later connected underground to Lady Windsor Colliery in Ynysybwl.
 
To read more about this article please visit Wales on Line by clicking here.
 
 

Hargreaves

Hargreaves

Tower Fund

Tower Fund

Contact Us

Tower Surface Mine, Rhigos Road, Hirwaun, Aberdare, CF44 9UD

01685 810048